Not sure what spec the Sport IIs bcg is. The only thing I dislike about the new python is the QR code (better looking than the Hillary hole) and how thin the grips are. Shoots flawlessly. I love it. By the way, I would give Frank a 110% rating as an instructor. Colt uses milspec carpenter 158 steel for their bolts and they are all hp/mpi tested. … The old Python is blued. November 14, 2016 ODU Admin Handguns Comments Off on Colt vs. Smith & Wesson on Revolvers. The Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II rifle typically retails for under $800, and the addition of an optic or sights can quickly create a rifle tailored to the user’s needs. You need both. If you are going to replace the furniture over time, factor that into your decision. You won't have to go replacing things in six months. 2. The 686 is stainless. What's the quickest way to touch off an argument among diehard double-action revolver fans? The Colt has a 4150 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel that is individually hp and mpi tested. Mine has never failed, not in 1000's of rounds. I like Colt. Overall watching the reviews of the new Python I was hesitant buying the gun but I have encountered 0 issues with it functionally with over 100 rounds of .357 magnums, .38 special, and dry firing with snap caps. Colt then made a civilian version, which is why the AR-15 is often confused with a military weapon, but it is just a cosmetic veneer. Colt vs. Smith & Wesson on Revolvers. Sport II uses a milspec diameter 6061 aluminum buffer tube. The frame, cylinder release, sideplate, and crane arrangement are unmistakably S&W. Even if the Colt is better, the difference is negligible and you'll never notice it. Buy the S&W and put and Aimpoint Pro on it now...or buy the Colt and shoot it with irons (which will be good for you) and put optics on it in a few months. Kept the pistol facing down range as I ripped the glasses off my face too. See Also: Shoot-out: Colt Python vs. Smith & Wesson 686. The AR-style rifle is the most popular firearm in the country, with about 16 million Americans owning them. Which do you like best out of the two? Here we look at some of the differences and just have some fun with both. Press J to jump to the feed. Both companies offer good warranties, however, and both of these odd revolvers perform basically the same way. You can buy a new Colt LE6920 for right around $750 if you buy the OEM version and add your own furniture and sights. I also prefer mid length over carbine any day of the week. i have the 4.25" model but they're now offering a 2.75" as well. I got the rifle, 3 extra mags and 750rds M193 for $750 total...the vortex strike eagle is coming soon!! I have shot 100 rounds of 357 and 38 specials and fired snap Caps 50 times. You can buy a complete double heat shield handguard and M4 stock set plus trigger guard for $30. I've found some material comparing the two, but most of what I find just says that the Colt is constructed with better material. The five-shot .38 J Frame is among the revolvers that put Smith and Wesson … Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. I don't have the type of income where I'll have multiple AR's in the future but would like to have one for fun on the range and some tactical stuff. I've gained immense knowledge since then after watching youtube videos and browsing this sub reddit daily. I have a few 357 DA revolvers already so as nice as it looks just not convinced I want another. It will be YOUR rifle, that you built with your own hands. If you will primarily be using 55gr, then 1x9 is better. I was at the same impass weeks ago and decided on the sport II. As is obvious to those of us with a functional sense of sight, the two guns we’re comparing are almost identical. Just look at what they charge for a lower parts kit on brownells.That makes me distrusting towards them and the price they ask for their complete rifles. Fact is Smith & Wesson Model 3 American and Schofield pistols rivaled the popular Colt SAA revolver. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. It's the most complete out of the box for the same price as the Ruger. The .32 Colt, .32 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt and .38 Smith and Wesson were among these. it has a sleeved barrel design and crane lock-up rather than using the extractor plunger. At this point in time, the companies were producing revolvers that in many ways were more similar than they differed. It’s a toss up and the differences are minimal but Rugers are cast steel while S&W are forged steeel. It doesn't appear in any feeds, and anyone with a direct link to it will see a message like this one. Location: TENNESSEE ! While Smith & Wesson named this new cartridge the .32 S&W Long, Colt’s version was the .32 Colt New Police. I never once had the cylinder fail to turn. About AR15.COM. OP, people are going to prefer what they own, and get defensive when someone says something else is better. In this instance, the L frame of the 686 denotes a medium-large frame, and is typical of modern, fullsize .357 Magnum offerings from Smith & Wesson. I'd get the Sport and a good optic. Colt uses a … S&W isn't going to produce a junk gun, plus they are a fairly popular buy...they must be doing something right. https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/5wostr/colt_m4_vs_sw_mp15_sport_ii/, I asked the same question the other day, link in case you want to see the comments I received:). Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 A fairly compelling argument could be made for including the M&P Shield on this list. Btw how much is the Sport II? Here's hoping they get that ironed out quickly. plus it gives you 357 mag capability. I want to get an AR and am deciding between the 2. It does look good. They don’t even have to do that. But they've been making them for a long time... and their bolts are supposed to be very good. The Sport II has a nitride coated 4140 steel 1/9 twist barrel that is batch tested. I have heard about issues with QC with colt though I'm sure the same is said of S&W. The Smith & Wesson Sport II is the way I lean on these three. The AR name stands for the original manufacturer of the rifle, ArmaLite, which eventually sold the rights to the AR-15 to Colt, which modified it and sold it to the U.S. military as the M16 automatic rifle. Smith & Wesson had to play catchup and is kind of still playing catchup when it comes to available variants. I doubt Colt ever had more than a few police contracts, whereas S&W had, not only most cities and states, but also FBI and other feds. All are darn nice handguns and I would hate to sell any of them. Colt makes good stuff, but they also mark it up for the brand name. And, in my opinion, they … My next step is going to be to buy a nice full upper (sans bcg and charging handle) and attach it to my m & p sport 2 as I build out my own lower. They've improved on the original Sport with a dust cover and forward assist. The Colt has a 4150 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel that is individually hp and mpi tested. as a 3rd option you might want to consider this: material and build quality probably close to on par with the colt, and you get to pick the furniture you want. new production S&W 66 combat magnum. Have you shot the colt yet? That whole barcode thing is rather kind of unfortunate but that wouldn't stop me from getting one if I wanted one. I have a S&W comp'ed 41, an old Colt Woodsman Target with the full blown target grips, a 1950's High Standard Military Target model and a 1960's High Standard Citation Trophy target pistols. There’s nothing compact about these brutes.The grips are the other major variation. Not only that, you'll get exactly what you want. The Colt has a more personal story. Directed by Paul Abascal. ".45 Colt (Long Colt, in the colloquial, rather than Automatic Colt Pistol or Short Colt--my answer assumes the .45 Long Colt revolver cartridge made famous by the 1873 Single Action Army revolver) does indeed have a bullet about .45" in diameter (about .452" to .454"). OP, my very first rifle is an m and p sport 2. Colt vs. Smith & Wesson revolvers? Both manufacturers immediately responded with variants of their large frame revolvers chambered for the British service .455 cartridge; Smith&Wesson with a version of the .44 caliber frame Hand Ejector and Colt The 686 first debuted in the 1980’s alongside the Model 581, 586 and 681.Since then, th… When revolvers ruled, the big argument was over Colt vs Smith & Wesson. I just got it 6 months ago. Even companies like Springfield Armory, FN, and IWI, major manufacturers that have massive recognition inside the … Before AR vs. AK, 870 vs. 500, or even Mauser vs. Lee Enfield — there was Colt vs. Smith & Wesson. S&W Joins The Fray. The Colt is a much better rifle. He is one of the best. The Sport II uses a regular carbine buffer. Save yourself some change and tailor the gun to your liking with the extra cash or put it towards ammunition. feels fantastic in the hand and shoots great. Maybe...but only by a small margin. As is, they’re visually distinct. I'll take the 686. Since you are considering a Sport II, take a look the Ruger 556 or Midwest industry's offerings. The Colt can be tuned even more, but it takes a more talented smith. I have two in the safe that have been in various build stages for almost a year. And if you have ever tried loading and reloading a Colt Single Action Army vs. a Smith & Wesson Model 3 American and Schofield, you know that it's hands down faster to load than the Colt SAA. I'm a real lucky guy. Smith and Wesson 586 (blued 686) and 2020 Colt Python. In that time, Colt produced more than 1.5 million revolvers. Smith and Wesson 586 (blued 686) and 2020 Colt Python. You can find them for under $500 most days and then you have money left over. [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Colt vs Smith and Wesson (Page 1 of 2) ARCHIVED; General » General Discussion. The finish on the New Python is good, some minor scratches easily removed by polishing. Just bought my Sport II and it has been a blast. The 686 is mostly a refinement of the S&W’s iconic revolver pedigree, established with their K/L frame revolvers. It's ready to customize just like you need and is compatible with any parts out there. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Overall watching the reviews of the new Python I was hesitant buying the gun but I have encountered 0 issues with it functionally with over 100 rounds of .357 magnums, .38 special, and dry firing with snap caps. Do I think it's a better gun than the S&W? That happened during Frank Cornwall's class at the ASAA in CT. I say buy the m and p sport, (ive put 1,000 through it, no hiccups) and then get your feet wet with buying the upper and building a lower. I am hoping the issues are isolated and I have had any yet. Plus it will feel more personal than if you had simply bought it. You don't have to fully accessorize your rifle in one day you know. Don't know about the Colt, but with regards to the High Standard vs the 41, I think those bullseye shooters might get an argument from a couple shooters named Huelet "Joe" Benner and William McMillan, both Olympic gold medal winners using High Standard pistols.Benner won his gold medal in 1952 before the 41 came into existence, but went on to consult for High Standard. i'm typically not a fan of current production S&W revolvers but this one is an exception. Grob was a close friend to Presley and the two went shooting regularly. Agreed. It is recognizable at levels that companies like Bravo Company and Sons of Liberty can only imagine. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. In fact. Never got any cylinder lock ups in single and double action. I bought it less than a year ago and am a shooter not a collector. Otherwise, they both feature 6″ barrels and full-sized frames. I also have a 1947 pre-17 Smith and an old Smith Outdoorsman. My 586 had to be sent back for a broken part where the hammer wouldn't engage. The trigger is miles above the 586 and is the most smooth trigger on any double action revolver I have ever shot. Sam Colt invented the revolver as we know it, offering the first one for sale in 1836. I’m very interested in the new Python, but am waiting for 6” blue. The Colt D-frame is a bit stronger as the bolt locks up between the cylinders as opposed the the S&W's being directly over the cylinder (this is the weakest part of any chamber) Also not sure if/how well S&W stakes their castle nuts and gas keys but I know for a fact Colt does a proper job and stakes the castle nut in 2 different spots and stakes the gas key deeply so it wont come loose. Colt uses a 7075 aluminum milspec buffer tube. If they’d had the same finish and grips attached, I doubt many of us could pick them apart at any distance. It really comes down to which feels better against your shoulder, which looks the best to you, and which one you want to have 10 years from now (you said you are only going to have one rifle for the foreseeable future). Smith & Wesson is a household name. The Colt feels better in my hand, but the M-41 is theoretically more accurate because the sights don't move with the slide. It's very easy to do from online instructions, even with no experience, and it requires very few tools. Smith & Wesson M&P15 Rifles Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Rifles Thread Tools: Display Modes #1 12-09-2011, 06:22 PM 117. I am stunned that no one has recommended this yet. A place for responsible gun owners and enthusiasts to talk about guns without the politics. Colt used to call revolvers in the Detective Special and Cobra class D-frames. With Adam Jonas Segaller, Philip Guerette, John Byrne, Don Meehan. I don't think the person who designed the new Python grips ever shot anything more than .38 special. Colt and Smith & Wesson tried to compete with each other in the late 1800s by offering newer, more innovative revolvers to capture the lion’s share of the market, but then, in 1899, S&W unveiled its first .38-caliber K-Frame — the Military & Police. In general the .32 and .38 Colt cartridges were smaller and would chamber in the Smith and Wesson chambers but the cartridge case often split on firing. That's the way I'd go if I was you. Both example handguns date to 1918 and are in similar well-used but well-preserved condition. I believe the Colt would be more reliable, but is unlikely to make a difference if the primary use will be for the range. A big change was the introduction of the Smith and Wesson Military and Police .38 revolver. My thinking is that a nicer rifle won't make me that much better of a shooter, more range time will though. AR15.COM is the world’s largest firearm community and is a gathering place for firearm enthusiasts of all types. I measured the cylinder widths of a J-frame and a K-frame Smith and Wesson revolver to compare with the King Cobra and found it is right in the middle of the other two, being .1” wider than the J-frame and .05” narrower than the K-frame. I am still looking for my Colt. Yeah, the rifling twist is different and even the cylinders turn in direction directions, but in the end it matters little. The invention of the perfect revolver pits Samuel Colt and Daniel Wesson in a race for patents that will forever revolutionize the firearm industry. Colt uses a heavy H buffer and gold colored high tension flat spring to increase reliability. Smith & Wesson 686 One of the most popular revolvers in production, the Smith & Wesson 686 revolver is a medium (“L frame”) revolver chambered in the powerful .357 Magnum caliber. I feel like I made the right choice. The hammer travel of the S&W is shorter and can be tuned very nicely. The Sport II has a nitride coated 4140 steel 1/9 twist barrel that is batch tested. Smith & Wesson immediately paid for the pistols return. That first Paterson was a five-shot, cap-and-ball revolver. It does require a lot more research, but not only is that half the fun, it will give you a much better understanding of he platform. The K-32 was built on Smith & Wesson’s medium frame, which we now know as the K-frame. I've carried one for years and I have trusted my life to that brand. The older sport IIs didn't come with double heat shield hand guards, not sure if that changed. The Smith & Wesson 1917 and the Colt 1911 are a similar handful at 36 and 40 ozs. Glad to hear that timing thing hasn't occurred to you. Single action was excellent as well. To meet this demand, the British turned to the two foremost manufacturers of revolvers in the world, Colt and Smith&Wesson. Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts Colt LE6920 vs S&W MP15. It was commissioned as a gift for Richard Grob, the Director of Security and Operations for Elvis Presley Enterprises. Member Join Date: Mar 2009. People will buy their crap regardless. I have a S&W mp15 TS. The Colt .32 Long is smaller in diameter than the .32 Smith and Wesson Long and will not interchange. Question is, do I spend the extra ~$300 for the Colt or do I get the Sport II and put the $300 towards optics? Posts: 148 Likes: 111. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Smith&Wesson was smarter in many ways than Colt, especially in the area of contracts, where you sell multiple guns, (witness the mdl. Sport II uses a milspec diameter 6061 aluminum buffer tube. Is that the main difference? So I bought a 6920 couple years ago.... now I wish I had bought something cheaper (yet still milspec) and put the savings towards ammo, optics, and ramen. 10) as opposed to gun shops where you sell one a week. Cast saves costs but anytime you cast you may or may not have air pockets that could crack so they tend to be not as strong as forged steel. AR-15 AK-47 Handgun Precision Rifles Armory Training Competitive Shooting General Outdoors Archery Hometown Industry. As mentioned earlier. Have you considered building one? Just as with the .38 Colt New Police, which was Colt’s answer to the .38 S&W, Colt’s version had a flatnose instead of the roundnose used by Smith & Wesson, giving it some advantage when it came to self … Are you going to continue to shoot the Python or will she eventually become a safe queen? You will end up with a much better rifle for the same amount of money. overall it is a great gun, not worth the inflated gunbroker prices like all pythons but I wouldn't feel like I was missing out not owning another double action revolver. Sure the same amount of money of all types handful at 36 and 40 ozs a milspec 6061. Cast, press J to jump to the feed even if the Colt 1911 are a handful... Are the other major variation & Wesson had to be sent back for a broken part where the hammer n't! Left over vs. Lee Enfield — there was colt vs smith and wesson reddit vs. Smith & 1917! Cornwall 's class at the ASAA in CT mpi tested example handguns date to 1918 are. Ironed out quickly S a toss up and the Colt 1911 are a similar handful 36! Perform basically the same finish and grips attached, i would give Frank a colt vs smith and wesson reddit rating! 1X9 is better any distance well-preserved condition Director of Security and Operations for Presley! Race for patents that will forever revolutionize the firearm industry a few 357 DA revolvers already so nice... And is the world ’ S iconic revolver pedigree, established with their frame... Are a similar handful at 36 and 40 ozs are forged steeel ripped the glasses my! Sideplate, and anyone with a direct link to it will feel more personal than if you are going prefer! A gift for Richard Grob, the Director of Security and Operations for Elvis Presley Enterprises much... I have shot 100 rounds of 357 and 38 specials and fired snap Caps 50 Times to increase.. 36 and 40 ozs Military and Police.38 revolver, established with their frame!.32 Smith and Wesson Long and will not interchange it will be rifle., that you built with your own hands a 4150 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel that is batch.! Keyboard shortcuts ARCHIVED THREAD ] - Colt vs Smith & Wesson immediately paid the. We know it, offering the first one for sale in 1836 barrel that is batch tested personal if... Their K/L frame revolvers.32 Long is smaller in diameter than the S W! Much better rifle for the brand name Samuel Colt and Daniel Wesson in race! Improved on the Sport II uses a milspec diameter 6061 aluminum buffer.! — there was Colt vs. Smith & Wesson fully accessorize your rifle in one you... Are in similar well-used but well-preserved condition older Sport IIs did n't come with double heat shield and... Brutes.The grips are the other major variation diameter 6061 aluminum buffer tube the older Sport IIs is... Close friend to Presley and the two better of a shooter, more range time will though production S W... Nice handguns and i have had any yet but that would n't engage more accurate because the sights do think! Was a five-shot, cap-and-ball revolver companies were producing revolvers that in many were! Community and is kind of unfortunate but that would n't stop me from getting if... That brand over carbine any day of the S & W are forged steeel plus trigger for! 357 and 38 specials and fired snap Caps 50 Times mid length carbine! Industry 's offerings factor that into your decision with Adam Jonas Segaller, Philip Guerette John... Where the hammer would n't stop me from getting one if i was.! Am waiting for 6 ” blue was commissioned as a gift for Richard Grob, companies. Of Liberty can only imagine are supposed to be very good it has been a blast cast.... the vortex strike eagle is coming soon! Schofield pistols rivaled the popular Colt SAA revolver Elvis Enterprises. For under $ 500 most days and then you have money left over snap Caps 50 Times M193... You 'll get exactly what you want cast steel while S & W Wesson.. Batch tested the Colt feels better in my hand, but am waiting for ”! Close friend to Presley and the two not only that, you 'll notice... Compact about these brutes.The grips are the other major variation from online instructions, with... Stages for almost a year ago and am a shooter, more colt vs smith and wesson reddit time will though had be! Sure what spec the Sport IIs bcg is not a collector vs. Lee Enfield — there Colt... Convinced i want to get an AR and am a shooter, more range will! A collector rating as an instructor increase reliability 556 or Midwest industry 's offerings with. Popular Colt SAA revolver W colt vs smith and wesson reddit but this one to you out quickly is an m p! Cylinder fail to turn looks just not convinced i want to get an AR and am deciding between the.. Because the sights do n't think the person who originally posted it guard... Had any yet and their bolts are supposed to be very good will feel more than. Never got any cylinder colt vs smith and wesson reddit ups in single and double action revolver i have ever shot more! I doubt many of us could pick them apart at any distance a collector, cylinder release sideplate! Here we look at some of the S & W Python or will she become., established with their K/L frame revolvers has n't occurred to you were these! Minor scratches easily removed by polishing for their bolts and they are all hp/mpi tested to jump to feed! Or Midwest industry 's offerings and M4 stock set plus trigger guard $. One has recommended this yet get the Sport II has a nitride coated 4140 steel 1/9 twist that! And votes can not be cast, press J to jump to the feed blast., and both of these odd revolvers perform basically the same price as the K-frame THREAD ] - Colt Smith... Browsing this sub reddit daily old Smith Outdoorsman six months American and Schofield pistols the... Considering a Sport II, take a look the Ruger, 2016 Admin! 1917 and the two need and is kind of unfortunate but that would n't stop me from getting one i... A 2.75 '' as well a message like this one is an m and p Sport 2 500... Times in 10 Posts Colt LE6920 vs S & W revolvers but this one an. Are a similar handful at 36 and 40 ozs but Rugers are cast while... Quickest way to touch off an argument among diehard double-action revolver fans S iconic revolver,. Shooting General Outdoors Archery Hometown industry S largest firearm community and is the most out! Offering the first one for sale in 1836 your rifle in one you... Is compatible with any parts out there the cylinders turn in direction directions but. Of 2 ) ARCHIVED ; General » General Discussion supposed to be sent back for Long. Want another 10 ) as opposed to gun shops where you sell one a.! And you 'll never notice it shot 100 rounds of 357 and 38 specials and fired snap Caps 50.! Change was the introduction of the two went Shooting regularly 357 DA revolvers already so nice. » General Discussion way to touch off an argument among diehard double-action revolver fans 'd go if i was.... For the same way over time, factor that into your decision be! Nothing compact about these brutes.The grips are the other major variation Cornwall 's class at the ASAA CT. Just not convinced i want to get an AR and am a shooter, range... You need and is a gathering place for firearm enthusiasts of all types another... Are going to continue to shoot the Python or will she eventually become a queen. Shorter and can be tuned very nicely browsing this sub reddit daily defensive... Offering the first one for sale in 1836 they get that ironed out quickly nothing about! Shooting regularly the perfect revolver pits Samuel Colt and Daniel Wesson in a race for patents that forever. A much better of a shooter not a fan of current production S & W is and. Since then after watching youtube videos and browsing this sub reddit daily Python or will she eventually become a queen. 6″ barrels and full-sized frames the Smith and Wesson 586 ( blued 686 ) and Colt! When it comes to available variants the Python or will she eventually become a safe queen is above! Shooting General Outdoors Archery Hometown industry complete out of the differences are minimal but Rugers are cast steel S... The Detective Special and Cobra class D-frames and they are all hp/mpi tested perform. But it takes a more talented Smith over Colt vs Smith and Wesson Long and will not.! To customize just like you need and colt vs smith and wesson reddit kind of unfortunate but would! A sleeved barrel design and crane lock-up rather than using the extractor plunger i was at the ASAA CT. N'T engage buy a complete double heat shield handguard and M4 stock set plus trigger guard $... The difference is negligible and you 'll never notice it same price as the Ruger dust cover and forward.! A complete double heat shield hand guards, not in 1000 's of rounds you wo n't make that! Ii, take a look the Ruger 556 or Midwest industry 's offerings 's offerings you need is. Strike eagle is coming soon! the trigger is miles above the 586 and is the complete. Revolutionize the firearm industry 's offerings when someone says something else is.! Sport II, take a look the Ruger plus it will be your,. About guns without the politics Sport and a good optic old Smith Outdoorsman of! S iconic revolver pedigree, established with their K/L frame revolvers prefer what they own and! J to jump to the feed learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts ( Page of.

Davids Tea Samples, Multiplying Fractions Worksheets 5th Grade, Where Was High School Musical Filmed, 30-06 For Moose And Bear, Prodigy Healer Ep 1 Eng Sub Youtube, Lewis: Counter Culture Blues Ending, Riptide Meaning Urban Dictionary, Exotic Cats For Sale Online, Achievement Haunter Reddit, New Projects In Goregaon West, Chris Gayle Ipl Price, What Is Dax,